How to adjust the privacy settings for your wearable
Share This Post
Wearable technology has been on the rise for a few years now. Smart watches and other wearable devices give users the ability to mirror their phone notifications, control IoT devices, track their fitness activities, and more. While these devices can add a layer of convenience to your life, like any device, it’s important to consider the privacy and security of the data they collect. Most smart watches have access to a lot of personal information, especially health and fitness data. This information is collected both natively and through additional third-party apps.
In our past few posts, we’ve covered why your health data matters, including both the positive and negative effects of its collection. If you’re a smart watch user who is concerned about the way your data is collected and shared, check out the privacy settings for your device and adjust them as needed. Below you’ll find step by step instructions on where to find these settings for three major brands.
- Open the Apple Watch app
- On the My Watch screen, tap Privacy
- Here you can enable or disable the features that monitor heart rate and track your body movement.
- Open the Fitbit app
- Under Privacy and Security, tap Privacy
- Here you can review and adjust the privacy settings for your personal info and statistics
- Access your Garmin Connect account from your computer
- Click on your avatar in the upper right corner, and choose Account Settings
- Choose Privacy Settings
- Adjust the privacy settings for your profile, activity, segments, and popularity routing
The privacy paradox: concerns vs behavior
What is the privacy paradox? Grab a pen. Write down a number on a scale from 1-10 that you think accurately represents how you much care about your privacy...
Online personas and what not to share
Can someone be two people at once? In today’s world, the answer is yes. In fact, one could argue someone can be multiple people at once. How? Due to...