Ghostery Launches New Mobile Browser with Advanced Privacy Technology for a Safer and Faster Browsing Experience
The Ghostery Privacy Browser provides dramatically faster browsing and greater privacy to Android and iOS users with built-in tracker- and ad-blocking
New York – September 19, 2018 – Ghostery, known for its free browser extension that makes your web browsing experience cleaner, faster and safer, today launched a new version of its Ghostery Privacy Browser for Android and iOS, bringing the full browser ecosystem of its parent company Cliqz to Ghostery users and providing a fast, private, tracker- and ad-free mobile browsing experience. Getting rid of the clutter on websites caused by trackers and ads means considerable savings in mobile data and battery usage.
Like all Ghostery products, the new mobile browser is open source. Its core technology and some features are based on the powerful Firefox technology developed by Mozilla, an investor in Ghostery’s parent company. Ghostery mobile users can opt in to contribute to strictly anonymous statistical data to improve Ghostery’s and Cliqz’s search and privacy products.
Equipped with comprehensive features that enhance user privacy for mobile browsing, the Ghostery Privacy Browser integrates the powerful ad blocking and tracker protection of the Ghostery 8 desktop extension control panel with improved browser functionalities.
Key features include:
- Built-in ad blocker & tracker visibility and control: By default, the Ghostery Privacy Browser removes intrusive ads and clutter, resulting in a cleaner and ultimately faster browsing experience. Users are given insight into who is tracking their data on websites they visit and can choose to block or unblock trackers.
- Enhanced privacy features for Android: Android users can block and unblock trackers individually or in bulk, and enable the Smart-Blocking feature to optimize page performance. For additional privacy protection, users can switch on Enhanced Anti-Tracking, an AI-based technology that overwrites all potential personal data points.
- Ghost Search: The Ghostery Privacy Browser integrates the private search engine operated by Cliqz. Unlike other search engines, such as Google, Bing and Yahoo, Ghost Search immediately suggests three dynamic result cards (websites or other content) as users begin to enter search terms into the address bar – providing smarter navigational options to get users to their destination with just one click. Cliqz’s search engine is entirely independent and works with its own web index. Cliqz does not store any personally identifiable information and works with sophisticated anonymization techniques, meaning users’ search queries remain completely private.
- Ghost Mode: In Ghost Mode, users can protect their privacy by preventing the websites they visit from being recorded in their browser history.
- Enhanced protection: The Ghostery Privacy Browser contains a built-in anti-phishing security feature that protects users from malicious and fraudulent websites. It detects up to four times more phishing attempts than Google Safe Browsing and works considerably faster, uncovering phishing sites within an hour. The anti-phishing technology examines a website for any harmful data entry fields and mistrustful characteristics and displays a warning message if the website is considered suspicious. Furthermore, Ghostery Privacy Browser prevents crypto-miners from parasitizing device resources.
- Start Tab with curated websites: When a user opens a new tab in the browser, Ghostery displays the user’s most visited websites and curated news from respected and trustworthy media outlets such as The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Today, Reuters, AP, BBC and The Guardian.
- Mobile data saver: Users can choose to load pictures only on Wi-Fi networks to save on their mobile data usage.
- Password manager: This feature facilitates logins with a master password. On iOS, it works with Touch-ID and Face-ID.
- Stop autoplay: This setting allows users to prevent websites from playing unsolicited videos.
- Font size adapter: This feature enables better visibility of texts.
“Today’s mobile web is increasingly bogged down by a pervasive ecosystem of trackers that clutter websites with ads, consume huge amounts of mobile data, violate users’ privacy, and even drain batteries,” said Jeremy Tillman, Director of Product at Ghostery. “Users are paying for these unseen costs, not just in a poor user experience, but in their phone bills. The Ghostery Privacy Browser gives users a cleaner, faster, safer mobile browsing experience by combining Ghostery’s powerful anti-tracking and ad-blocking technologies with the state-of-the-art mobile browser developed by our parent company, Cliqz.”
The Ghostery Privacy Browser is free and available for download in 14 different languages for Android in the Google Play Store and iOS in the App Store. Mobile users in select markets can also participate in the optional Ghostery Rewards program to receive discounts and deals as they browse and shop online. Ghostery Rewards is based on the MyOffrz technology developed by Cliqz. It provides tailored offers without compromising privacy.
More information: ghostery.com
Diffusion PR for Ghostery
We live in a connected world. When you browse the internet, there are thousands of unseen tracking technologies that connect you and your browsing data to companies across the world so that they can target you with ads and communications, analyze your browsing behavior, and integrate their own third-party web technologies. These trackers slow down page load time as they transmit and download data, increase clutter on websites with ads and pop-ups, and put your information at risk as they share your browsing behavior with other companies.
The internet sucks. Ghostery makes it suck less.
Ghostery offers a free browser extension and mobile browser that make browsing the internet cleaner, faster, and safer. Ghostery detects and blocks tracking technologies on the websites you visit to speed up page loads, eliminate clutter, and protect your data and privacy. It also keeps you informed on what companies are tracking you and gives you the tools you need to determine what to block and when. Ghostery continues to innovate and evolve its products to provide the most effective tool in building a more private internet that puts the needs of users first.
Ghostery was created in 2008 by David Cancel and is based in New York City. Cliqz GmbH, a German-based company headquartered in Munich, Germany and backed by Mozilla and Hubert Media acquired Ghostery from Evidon, Inc in 2017.