What are Private Search Engines?
If you use the internet regularly, chances are you rely on a search engine to find what you need online.
Whether it’s information, entertainment, shopping, or anything else, search engines are the gateway to the vast and ever-growing digital world.
But have you ever wondered how search engines work, and what they do with your data?
How do Search Engines Work?
A search engine is software that allows you to enter a query, get search results with a list of web pages that match your query. Search engines use complex algorithms and databases to crawl, index, and rank billions of web pages on the internet.
The goal of a search engine is to provide you with the most relevant and useful results for you quickly.
Search engines help you navigate the web, find answers to your questions, discover new content, and access various online services.
Some of the most popular search engines include Google, Bing, Yahoo, and Baidu. These search engines have different features and capabilities, such as voice search, image search, maps, news, and more.
The Need for Privacy
While search engines are convenient and helpful tools for online activity, they also pose challenges and risks when it comes to privacy.
Traditional search engines collect and store various types of user data, such as:
- Source IP address
- User agent
- Unique identifier (stored in browser cookies)
- Search queries
This data can be used for various purposes, such as:
- Personalizing your search results and ads
- Improving the quality and performance of the search engine
- Analyzing user behavior and trends
- Sharing or selling your data to third parties
However, this also raises some concerns about data privacy and surveillance with traditional search engines.
For example, your data can be:
- Accessed by governments or law enforcement agencies who can use it for surveillance or censorship.
- Used by advertisers or marketers who can target you with unwanted or intrusive ads.
It can also reveal sensitive or personal information about you, such as your medical conditions, financial status, political views, or preferences.
These concerns have led many people to seek more privacy and control over their online activity. This is where private search engines come in.
What are Private Search Engines?
A private search engine is software that enables you to search the web without storing and tracking user or session information. A private search engine does not collect or share any of your personal information. It also does not follow you around with ads or manipulate your search results based on your profile or history.
The main features and advantages of using a private search engine are:
- Protecting your privacy online by not logging your site visit and personal data.
- Avoiding unwanted or intrusive ads that clutter your screen or slow down your browser.
- Receiving unbiased and unfiltered results that are not influenced by your past searches or preferences.
Private Search Engines do not:
- Store user data
- Track user activity
- Show personalized ads
- Manipulate results
Introducing Ghostery: The Best Free Private Search Engine
The best search engine for unfiltered results is Ghostery.
Ghostery Private Search is a free private search engine extension for Chrome and Firefox that gives you unbiased results, and detects and reports trackers before you visit a site.
We match Private Sponsored Links with search queries without using or sharing user data, making us a secure search engine.
Ghostery has some unique features and advantages that make it stand out from other private search engines. For example, Ghostery:
- Delivers objective results that are not influenced by your clicks or preferences.
- Does not record your search history or personal data.
- With the help of WhoTracks.Me, Ghostery shows you the trackers that want to collect your data, while providing real-time insights on them beside the search result.
- Our Private Sponsored Links are tracker-free affiliate links that support us and respect your privacy. Become a Contributor to enjoy a private search experience with no ads.
Why Choose Ghostery?
There are a few reasons to choose Ghostery as your private search engine.
Ghostery Private Search respects your privacy and does not collect or share any of your personal information.
It also does not store your search history, IP address, or any other identifiers that could link your searches to you.
Our search engine also delivers unbiased and unfiltered results that are not influenced by your past searches or preferences.
Exploring Other Private Search Engines
Besides Ghostery Private Search, there are other notable search engines that you can try out.
These anonymous search engines include:
- Kagi: a subscription-based, ad-free search engine that respects user privacy and provides high-quality results using non-commercial indexes and personalization features, ranging from $5-$25 per month.
- Brave Search: a new private search engine that serves results almost exclusively from its own index. Users can enjoy an ad-free search experience for $3 per month.
- DuckDuckGo: a well-known private search engine that does not collect or share any of your personal information and does not follow you around with ads. It also has some useful features such as instant answers, bangs, themes, and more.
- Startpage: a private search engine that delivers Google search results without tracking you or storing your IP address. It also has some handy features such as anonymous view, proxy service, custom settings, and more.
- SearXNG Instances: an open-source metasearch engine that aggregates results from various sources while respecting your privacy and avoiding filter bubbles.
You can use any of these as a default search engine.
Private search engines are different from other search engines because they do not track or store the personal data of their users. Unlike most free search engines, they do not link search queries to personal user data, such as IP addresses, search history, or cookies.
These unbiased search engines aim to provide more privacy and security for their users. An unbiased internet search engine prevents personalized ads and filter bubbles.
Private search engines are also becoming more popular as people become more aware of the risks of online surveillance and data breaches.
Ghostery as one of the best free private search engines available today — its unique features and benefits that make it a great choice for anyone who values their privacy online.
If you want to try using Ghostery Private Search for yourself, you can try it out here.
Get in touch if you have any questions. We’re always happy to help.